Tuesday, February 2, 2010

STRESS EATING OMG

So, I'm a stress eater. I know I am not alone. But, over the past week or so, my life has had significant amounts of stress, both personally and professionally.

I am stressed, therefore I eat.

Truth be told, I haven't gone too far off the rails. I treated myself to a low-fat Starbucks coffee cake last week. I had a few pieces of chocolate during a conversation with a good friend. I ate late-night food again. I took a bite of birthday cake for a friend. I just finished consuming a corn dog from our school cafeteria, something I refuse to apologize for since I've been craving a darn corndog for a week straight. This is a major improvement from previous times in my life where I have absolutely GONE NUTS, eating a lot of stuff and snacking like whoa.

There have been no "drive-through-Taco-Bell-and-go-nuts" binges, but I'm definitely exceeding my calorie intake by 100 calories or so each day, if not more. And, I'm not working out to cover it.

I haven't been dilligent about two things: tracking my food AND eating a good breakfast. Typically, when I track my food, I am hyper-aware of all calories, and I plan ahead to avoid a huge binge. It's tedious, but helpful.

It sounds formulaic, but eating a healthy, big breakfast really starts my day off right. I know that eating protein helps my day---I don't feel so hungry, and by the time I hit my mid-morning snack, I'm not ravenous for anything that can touch my lips.

So, my big goals for this week: hardboil some eggs, so I can add an egg to my morning routine, track my meals in advance and really, really stay within my caloric goal. I'm also hoping to really focus on what I want when I'm stressed out, and finding a better way of dealing with stress. Truthfully, working out is starting to really help me---I can feel the beginnings of that runner's high people discuss sometimes. And hot yoga is such a release for me.

6 comments:

  1. Your tagline on this blog rocks my socks off.

    Also, I have been doing the exact. Same. THING re: the extra 100 or so and not working it off. Sigh. Back to the treadmill...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I've managed to gain more weight in Jan than I did over the holidays because of homesick eating. I always convince myself that snack will make me feel better. It rarely does. Running does though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those extra 100 calories or so are easy to add in and easy to shave off. At least you're not like 500 calories above where you want to be.

    It's SUCH a pain in the ass but I really do think that tracking what you eat makes all the difference. It has for me, anyway.

    And the hot yoga---I want to hear more about the hot yoga!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you eat when you have a healthy, big breakfast? I've been thinking I need to start eating more than my Kashi bar for breakfast because I'm ravenous by lunchtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO BAD at stress eating. It's funny how we think we DESERVE to eat bad because we've had a bad day. I still do this and I know it's a habit I need to break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am SO with you. Read Perricone's diet book. Changed my life.

    ReplyDelete