Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day One

Yesterday was my first day back at home after vacation, my first day at work and also my first day really hitting my goals hardcore.

I am delighted to say I was successful.

I have had this annoying congestion issue, where I don't really feel terrible, save for being horridly stuffy and exhausted. I had only gotten about five hours of sleep after arriving home and had an exceptionally long day at work due to some extracurricular commitments.

Still, I was bound and determined to make it a good day. There's a lot of talk in the self-help world about affirmations and our self-talk. I tend to have a constant running script of negative talk about myself in my head---"This is an awful day" or "You look disgusting today" and that is perhaps my biggest goal: to flip that script. I focused on this yesterday by saying things like, "Working out when I get home is going to feel SOOOO amazing!" and "You will be so proud of yourself after doing 30 minutes of cardio."

As crazy as it sounds, it totally worked.

Despite being absolutely exhausted, I managed to: drink a ton of water, track my food on my iPhone, stay within my alloted calorie goal of 1400 calories (a bit under, actually), cook a healthy dinner AND do 30 minutes of cardio.

I am hoping to be able to make my workouts longer. I have to be honest and say that working out yesterday was the first time I really felt my weight. When I was in good shape, I could do 30 minutes of cardio with no problem. I might not like it, but I could handle it. Yesterday, between my weight and being congested, it was really difficult. I managed 15 minutes on the elliptical machine and 15 minutes on the stationary bike.

Tonight, I plan to do the same, but also do some of the weight machines, too.

They say every journey begins with a single step, and I took some of my first steps yesterday. Here's hoping this is just the start.

5 comments:

  1. I need to step up my game in the work out department...it's so hard to keep up when you're feeling cruddy! I used to track my calories/activity via MyFoodDiary.com and then stopped a few months back. But I've noticed that I've been veering off course a bit lately, so I signed back up again yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You NEVER look disgusting! I'm appalled that you would think that. I say thumbs up to the positive self-talk. Sometimes that can be the hardest thing, but really SO beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Amy! Glad you were able to have a positive "first" day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! :) I love days where we feel great about the choices we made. It's easy that way to prepare for the next day with those great positive feelings. I started a new blog last week for my journey but am still not finished setting it up. Is it okay if I include the link to your blog for my blogroll on my weight loss blog?

    ReplyDelete