Monday, January 18, 2010

Running club...

Over the weekend, I went to SacFit's running club for the first time. I have to admit that I was equal parts cynical and nervous, mostly because I'm not a fitness person. Like, at all. As we approached the group and I saw car after car decorated with "26.2" stickers, I began to question my judgment in joining this whole thing.

As we approached, I saw people of all shapes and sizes. Some were clearly marathoners, and others were walkers. After some general announcements, the newbies were gathered into a group and given a bit of a pep talk.

The head of SacFit explained a lot about the group. He said that his biggest goal is for people to be successful, and not to feel pressured to do or be anything other than our best at that time. The mission of the group is for people to stick around, to learn how to run and be a successful athlete---even if you've never been on a sports team or been considered fit. Normally, this sort of this doesn't really affect me---call me cynical, but I've been to gyms before where this is emphasized and well, it never seems to pan out that way. But as I looked around and saw the ability levels and felt the sincerity of what was being said, I couldn't help but feel welcome. We were assured that we were to run slowly and comfortably, that they wanted to prevent injuries and had resources to do so, and that we'd be treated well and coached individually. It felt good, and for the first time in a long time, I began to think that maybe, being one of those fitness people isn't exactly unattainable for me.

Leslie and I completed our pace run---just a mile---and we both did it in under 16 minutes. I realize that is terribly slow, but for me? I was pleased that I'd done it under 20, and that I felt good while doing it.

I just got home from my first solo workout, in which I ran 20 minutes without stopping. Yes, I was slow---agonizingly slow. But I did it. And with each and every minute that passed, I began to feel more and more like a runner who will achieve her goals this year.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you, Amy. The key to being successful is that you have to start somewhere... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going! Sounds like a good start, 20 minutes non stop is great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running 20 minutes without stopping is fantastic. It'll only get better from here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly awesome!! Congratulations on that and keep it up -- maybe someday we'll meet up for a marathon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better to start slowly and surely.

    Now, about that return to the hot room... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Running is amazing, you will fall in love with it. And runners are the best people, ever! I started running just over a year ago and I seriously LOVE it. I can't imagine my life without it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ran 20 minutes without stopping?!? That's fantastic! Most people can't do that. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering I only run if I am being chased by something that wants to kill me, I am mega impressed! Way to be! I am so proud of you for going and for doing your best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you still did it! that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Amy! The first time I ran, I ran at a pace of 4.2 on the treadmill. It takes time to build endurance and be able to add distance and speed. You will get there though. I'm up to 4 miles in 54:00 minutes, but it's taken me months. Try to compete in some local 5ks. I find I run better when with a group, I push myself.

    ReplyDelete