Sunday, January 3, 2010

Plans, part 2

After one has tackled food, the next obvious thing one has to address when losing weight is the working out portion.

UGH.

I was never an exercise person as a kid. Being part of a soccer team, for me, consisted of me making daisy chains and tying bows in my teammates hair. I was never hyper competitive and hated running around.

When I first lost some weight a few years ago, I found that I really loved working out once I found a routine I enjoyed. I found that it helped me feel less stressed and the stronger I got, the more I enjoyed really working out using weights---my body looked completely different after just a few months. I don't look like it now, but I am actually a pretty muscular gal and it's easy for me to look buff once I get rid of le fat.

For me, the toughest part is getting into a routine. Let me be totally honest: I freaking LOVE laying about the house. I will find any excuse not to leave the house if I'm relaxing. Seriously, I am embarrassed by how LAZY I have become. Sure, work takes it out of me, but I am also just lazy. So, routine is KEY.

I am planning on trying a few things:

---Joining Sacfit, a running and walking club that gives specific workouts. I can either join them, which I likely will on weekends and a night or two during the week, or run on my own during the week. I have this thing about being a runner, which I'll likely write more about later.

---Going to the gym at my apartment in the morning for 20-30 minutes of cardio before breakfast. Fasted cardio is one of the best ways to make pounds fall off, plus, it starts the day on a healthy note.

---Returning to Bikram Yoga. It's my absolute favorite way to exercise. I feel a bajillion times better about my life when I'm doing it regularly.

I'm also planning to mix it up with some other forms of cardio: spin, swimming and Zumba.

My goal is to work out six days a week, but still walk, do Pilates or something slightly active on the seventh day. I realize this is pretty much what I have to do in order to meet my goals. I am hoping that it will just become part of my day, as much as work, television and the internet.

I am obviously excited to see my body change but I am also excited to have an outlet for my stress. I am hyper aware of the fact that I am not the best at managing my stress and my depressive tendencies---I know that having an activity where I can blow off stress and have those endorphins will be a hugely positive thing for me. Especially during the winter, when I tend to struggle with the gray days and want to burrow away in the warm house, this will be great for me.

I also know that this will be a tough change to make...but I also know that I am tired of seeing photos of myself that incite nausea and disappointment.

I get home tomorrow...Tuesday, it's all happening. Wish me luck, will ya?

15 comments:

  1. You can do it, Amy! It is definitely hard to make it a routine - just remember it takes 21 days to form a habit. It will really suck for those first three weeks, and then it's cake from there!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I kind of love that the background of this blog is cupcakes. HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a shame that there isn't a drill sgt that we can hire who will make sure all the usual duties are done (laundry, dusting, dishes, cooking and children/pets cared for) while they kick our ass out the door to do this. For some reason, my ass is as drawn to my purple couch as I was the moment I saw it...I wish that i had an auto eject button before the hour of 8:00 pm, but alas, I do not. hoping for some motivation from you to rub off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! Find a step class...it's wicked fun. Be at peace with not knowing the steps in the beginning. Over time you'll figure it out and you sweat a ton without realizing it: the best kind of workout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never found a single form of exercise that I like... & it's so disheartening... guess I should look harder?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could do Bikram Yoga still, but the only studio around here is $100, or more, a month and I just can't afford it. It's such an amazing workout though.

    I am doing the 30-Day Shred at the moment. I believe you can do it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once you move closer I am going to force you to come run/walk with me every afternoon or morning with the babeez.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exercise is what I have the hardest thing with too! I'm pretty good about eating good, give or take a few bad days. But it's SO HARD for me to get my butt to the gym or outside to run. I will make every excuse in the BOOK. It's much easier for me to do it first thing in the morning but since I have to be at work at 6:45am Monday-Friday, this isn't an option for a while. So I just have to make it an appointment for me, something I HAVE to do. And just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl, you got this!!!!
    i can totally relate though. i need to get in a routine.
    and i dont know how.
    every night i go to bed thinking, ok, in the morning, treadmill, then shower, then work.
    and every mornign my alarm goes off, and im all oooohhhhhh, maybe tomorrow.
    blah.

    my aunt goes to bikram yoga. she LOVES it.

    id like to be able to go to a gym that has swimming & spinning and fun stuff like that, but the only one in the vacinity of where i live is a billion dollars a year to join.

    anyway, best of luck!!!!!!! i know you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a plan. My wife and I are starting to plan and track over on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WE BOTH CAN DO IT! :) I'm glad there are others that I can get inspiration and motivation from. I've been working out for 10 days straight now and I already feel different and happier.

    Too bad we didn't both apply for the biggest loser show recently since it's "couples" this season. oh, and we'd totally win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bikram, baby. It's all about the Bikram!

    Actually, no, that's not true. It's all about YOU. I'm proud of you, lady. Let's be cross-coast Bikram buddies trying for a healthy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been meaning to tell you that I have a good friend who is very involved in SacFit. She is one of the group leaders. Are you going to the sign up this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey so the guy from SacFit says I can still come this weekend for the meeting on Saturday even though I missed last week. He said all I missed was the timed run. If you're still up for it just to walk or slowly get into running, let me know if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zumba is an awesome way to dance the weight off Amy! I love my zumba classes at 24 Hour Fitness. In about an hour I can burn about 600 calories, sometimes more if shake my groove thing a bit more!! =)

    ReplyDelete